I realize some people count shopping days until Christmas, but we pastors are more likely to count preparation days until Lent. (That would be 20!) So as we look ahead, I offer some links to resources from years past.
But first, an invitation! You are invited to join me and others from Peace Mennonite for our annual Lenten Spiritual Retreat at the Hollis Renewal Center in Bonner Springs, Kansas on March 8-9.
Our theme will be “Wilderness Choices: The Way of Jesus in a World of Worry.” We will begin with supper on Friday night, March 8, and conclude mid-afternoon on March 9.
Our time together will include scheduled times of worship and creative prayer as well as open time for the trails, the labyrinth, the art supplies, and whatever else nurtures your spirit.
You can find more information on our church web site–but please note that the cost for non-Peace Mennonite folks will be $50 per person (payable to the church). If you are interested in retreating with us, please contact me as soon as possible so I can reserve the appropriate amount of space.
And now for the Resources:
- An order of worship for Ash Wednesday
- A family service for Ash Wednesday
- A sermon on Luke 4:1-13 for Lent 1: the wilderness as bewilderment
- A sermon on Luke 13:31-35 for Lent 2: What should we be afraid of?
- A call to worship based on Psalm 27 (Lent 2)
- A benediction based on Exodus 3 (Lent 3)
- A call to worship based on 1 Corinthians 5:17 (Lent 4)
- The PDF version of last year’s creative arts Lenten retreat material is available for $5. It is built on last year’s lectionary readings, but the general themes of Lent carry over from year to year.
- Other resources can be found on the index page toward the bottom–under “The Year”
- You can also select “Lent/Easter” in the Categories menu to the right.