Advent begins in less than two weeks! That means it is a busy time for me both as a pastor and as an Advent devotional writer.
I feel deeply encouraged and honored by the excitement people have expressed for my book Expecting Emmanuel: Eight Women Who Prepared the Way. I know that many of you plan to use it during Advent for personal devotions, small group studies, and even worship. As I plan worship for Peace Mennonite around this book and talk with people about it, I continue to be inspired and challenged by the stories of Tamar, Rahab, Ruth, Bathsheba, and Mary. I pray you will be blessed by journeying with these women as well.
If you would like to learn more about the book and/or have some companionship as you use the book through Advent, check out the information below:
The Expecting Emmanuel Zoom group will be held on Mondays at 11 a.m. (Central) from Nov. 21-Dec. 19. These times of sharing and prayer are for anyone using the book with a group or in worship. Contact me for the Zoom link.
Remember that for only $10 you can get a digital download of the blessing from Expecting Emmanuel along with Michelle Burkholder’s beautiful art pieces. Menno Media has recently added the worship liturgies from the book as well. Purchasing this digital download grants you rights to use this material within your group or congregation: in newsletters, bulletins, projected images . . .
First, check out the amazing music resource that the wonderful people at Anabaptist Worship Network created! They suggest songs to accompany the stories of all of the women discussed in Expecting Emmanuel.
We are using the Expecting Emmanuel worship resources at Peace Mennonite for Advent this year, so check this blog in the coming weeks for reflections on the scriptures, photos of our Advent candles, and other thoughts on worshiping with the women of Jesus’ genealogy.
Upcoming speaking engagements:
- The Bethel College chapel service (in North Newton, KS) this Wednesday, November 16, at 11 a.m. (Central)
- Central Baptist Seminary Lunch and Learn this Thursday, Nov. 17, at Noon (Central); you can register here.
- First Mennonite Church, Bluffton, Ohio on November 27 at 10:30 a.m. (Eastern)
- The Bluffton University Forum on November 29 at 11 a.m. (Eastern).
- The Ancestors of Advent online retreat led by Samantha E Lioi on December 6 and10—see her web site for details.
- Called to Be Bad podcast with Mariah Martin and Menno Media’s ~ing podcast—coming soon!
Previously Recorded Conversations:
- Faith Conversations podcast with Anita Lustrea
- Anabaptist Worship Network webinar on using Expecting Emmanuel in worship
Your words of encouragement and support mean so much to me as I have launched my first book into the world. Please know that my prayers are with you in the coming Advent season.