I thought that the night of the first presidential debate might be a good time to share this prayer activity with you all. It’s from the Fruit of the Spirit retreat materials–from Wednesday of Peace week. It was a good prayer practice for me this morning. (Maybe every day until I no longer have teenagers in the house.)
Scripture Reading: John 14:25-27
Jesus says: “I have said these things to you while I am still with you. But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything, and remind you of all that I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid.”
- Get some patterned paper. Cut or tear 10 or more pieces from the papers. (Each piece should be big enough to write on.)
- On the white side of each paper, write one thing that is troubling your heart.
- Hold these papers in your hand and speak aloud the words that Jesus gives to his followers: “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” Speak these words as many times as you need to hear them.
- On a blank page, glue the papers patterned side up, creating any type of pattern or design you like. You can also add more paper or colored pencil to the page if desired.
- Say a prayer of thanks to God for the peace offered to us through Christ Jesus in the power of the Holy Spirit.